jeudi 1 décembre 2016
World AIDS Day 2016 (Thursday,December 1st ) – Key facts 2015 about HIV/AIDS
Save the date and the place to be “World AIDS Day 2016 on Thursday,December 1st”.Supported by Ronald Tintin, mobile.superprofesseur.com, Marina Nival
37 million people living with HIV at the end of 2015.
HIV continues to be a major global public health issue, having claimed more than 35 million lives so far. In 2015, 1.1 (940 000–1.3 million) million people died from HIV-related causes globally.
There were approximately 36.7 (34.0–39.8) million people living with HIV at the end of 2015 with 2.1 (1.8–2.4) million people becoming newly infected with HIV in 2015 globally.
Sub-Saharan Africa is the most affected region, with 25.6 (23.1–28.5) million people living with HIV in 2015. Also sub-Saharan Africa accounts for two-thirds of the global total of new HIV infections.
HIV infection is often diagnosed through rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs), which detect the presence or absence of HIV antibodies. Most often these tests provide same-day test results; essential for same day diagnosis and early treatment and care.
There is no cure for HIV infection. However, effective antiretroviral (ARV) drugs can control the virus and help prevent transmission so that people with HIV, and those at substantial risk, can enjoy healthy, long and productive lives.
It is estimated that currently only 60% of people with HIV know their status. The remaining 40% or over 14 million people need to access HIV testing services. By mid-2016, 18.2 (16.1–19.0) million people living with HIV were receiving antiretroviral therapy (ART) globally.
Between 2000 and 2015, new HIV infections fell by 35%, AIDS-related deaths fell by 28% with some 8 million lives saved. This achievement was the result of great efforts by national HIV programmes supported by civil society and a range of development partners.
Expanding ART to all people living with HIV and expanding prevention choices can help avert 21 million AIDS-related deaths and 28 million new infections by 2030.
To know more about World AIDS Day 2016 :
Ronald Tintin, Founder of www.SuperProfesseur.com and the project Ronning Against Cancer to support the Fight against Cancer, charity and causes (Education, End Violence Against Women and Girls)
“ Together, we can get rid of cancer; we are not alone. Together, we are stronger.”